200g dates, pitted and chopped
1 teaspoon baking soda
150ml boiling water
125g self-raising flour
1. Put the dates in a bowl with the baking soda. Pour over the boiling water, stir and
let stand for 20 minutes.
2. Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until light
and fluffy. Stir in the flour, then the date mixture.
3. Pour into a well-greased flan dish. Bake for 30 minutes
at 190°C (test with a skewer to make sure it is done.)
4. While the pudding is cooking, make the sauce (see recipe
5. When the pudding is ready, remove from the oven and coat the top lightly with enough sauce to produce
a sticky glaze. Return to the oven for 2 minutes.
6. To serve, cut into slices, pour additional sauce over each
serving, and accompany with whipped cream or ice cream.
You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself (Galileo)