5 egg yolks
395ml can sweetened condensed milk
70ml lime juice, or more to taste
20-25cm prepared pie shell
chilled pouring cream (whipping cream)
3 tablespoons caster sugar
zest of 1 lime
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Whisk the egg yolks, breaking them up as you go.
3. As you
continue whisking, slowly add the condensed milk then the lime juice. The mixture should be tart - if it isn't pleasantly
tangy, stir in more lime juice. Pour the filling into the prepared pie shell. (Tip: pre-made
pie shells can be bought from the frozen food section of your supermarket. Baking requirements differ from brand to brand;
just follow the directions on the pack.)
4. Place the pie on the centre shelf of the oven to bake for around 15
minutes. Remove and let stand to cool.
5. In a bowl, whip the cream while slowly adding the caster sugar. Continue
whipping until the cream becomes light and fluffy, forming peaks.
6. Spread the whipped cream evenly over the pie,
sprinkle lime zest over the top and serve at room temperature. (Tip: refrigerate the pie if
you are not serving it within 3 hours of baking.)